Cristian Romero performs surprise U-turn after angering Tottenham supporters

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image

Tottenham defender Cristian Romero has performed a U-turn on a major decision that angered fans before the massive Premier League clash at home to Everton

Cristian Romero has returned to London ahead of Tottenham's huge Premier League clash against Everton, football.london understands.

The Spurs captain was pictured in Argentina earlier this week with reports suggesting he had headed back to his home country to see his boyhood club Belgrano face River Plate in the Primera Division final on Sunday.

Such a decision seemingly being made caused significant anger among Spurs supporters with Romero therefore set to be absent from their do-or-die match at home to Everton where the club could be relegated to the Championship if they lose and West Ham United beat Leeds.

However, it is understood he actually returned to Argentina to undergo some further rehabilitation on his knee injury that was agreed upon weeks ago.

F OLLOW OUR TOTTENHAM FB PAGE! Latest Spurs news, analysis and much more via our dedicated Facebook page

However, he has performed a U-turn on that plan and caught a flight back to London and is likely to be at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium this afternoon having watched every home match since suffering an injury back in mid-April during Roberto De Zerbi's first game in charge

Claims he was in the South American country to watch Belgrano were also quickly dismissed by his agent Ciro Palermo when speaking to football.london.

He said: "Any suggestion that the trip was made for the purpose of attending football matches is entirely inaccurate. More than that, it is a completely fabricated narrative being circulated by people who are unaware of the facts and have no knowledge of the rehabilitation plan that has been in place for weeks.

"Cristian's focus is, and has always been, on recovering as strongly as possible, preparing for the World Cup, and supporting Tottenham Hotspur in every way he can.

"His commitment to the club, his team-mates and the supporters has been evident throughout his time at Tottenham and remains unchanged."

Roberto De Zerbi was also asked about the 28-year-old's decision and seemingly confirmed that the plan was for him to continue his recovery.

At his pre-match press conference, the Spurs boss said: "He spoke with the medical staff, together they decided to go to Argentina to complete the rehab with the Argentinian medical staff. We spoke last week. With me, he showed always that he wanted to stay with us, the injury is already an injury and we have to accept it.

"I am not stupid. I want to be clear. I am not stupid. If I understand there is any player, or some player, who thinks for himself before the club, I can't be the same Roberto. But with Cuti Romero, I can't say nothing, because with me, in my time, he has been correct in the beginning, until now."