Live Commentary - Chelsea vs Spurs

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image

Sky Sports' Ron Walker at Stamford Bridge:

"Some forced smiles from Joao Pedro as he collects his Player of the Season award on the pitch to a smatter of applause with Stamford Bridge still half full.

"A tough 24 hours for the Brazilian following his surprise snub from his country's World Cup squad last night - and now unable to feature this evening."

Former Chelsea forward Daniel Sturridge on Sky Sports:

"Xabi Alonso is a statement signing as a manager, for sure.

"A lot of clubs were looking at him. What he did at Leverkusen was exceptional.

"What he brings is winning, it's in his DNA. For me, it's the coach who is going to bring the energy to the football club.

"He made players tick at Leverkusen, they were an attacking team and exciting to watch too."

Chelsea interim head coach Calum McFarlane:

"We had a big game on Saturday, there were a few lads who were carrying some knocks and who we had to manager after some previous injuries.

"I spoke to Joao briefly. He's had a great season, he's our player of the year, but it's part of football. He'll respond to [missing the World Cup squad] well.

"It's been the same prep for the last three games. Nothing different [after Alonso's appointment] tonight.

"It's going to be electric. It's going to be a massive game, we have to make sure we're up for that. Both teams have a lot to play for.

"100 per cent, we have to win both games."

Tottenham head coach Roberto De Zerbi to Sky Sports:

"The message is to play with order, to fight on the pitch but enjoy having the ball. My players are good, and they have to play like they can.

"For us, nothing has changed. Xabi is a great coach but it's not my club. For us, the focus is on playing well, playing a good game.

"We are suffering this season. It's not finished yet, it's still tough but I'm positive for my players."

On starting Kinsky over Vicario: "Vicario is still No 1 for us. He's the first goalkeeper, but in this moment Kinsky is playing very well in the last two games, and I didn't want to change or take a risk in this game.

"Vicario is available but is not 100 per cent. I spoke to both of them and found the best decision for the team."

Chelsea midfielder Cole Palmer on Sky Sports at Stamford Bridge:

"Everyone's excited [about Alonso], he's a top manager and we can't wait to get started.

"We shouldn't need extra motivation but everyone wants to impress the new manager coming in.

"It's must-win tonight. It'll be a tough challenge, we all know the rivalry so it should be a good game."

Sky Sports' Daniel Sturridge:

"These Chelsea players are fighting for their futures. They’ve got an opportunity tonight.

"A new manager is coming in, and this is a chance for them to show what they’re all about.

"They’re representing Chelsea. The standards are always high and it’s important for them to go out there and prove themselves."

Tottenham boss Roberto De Zerbi says a decision over the future of captain Cristian Romero will be taken once the season is over.

Romero is expected to be out for the rest of the season with a knee injury that he picked up in last month's defeat at Sunderland in De Zerbi's first game in charge.

Speculation has swirled about the Argentina international's future since the end of last season when he was linked with a move to Atletico Madrid.

De Zerbi was full of praise for the role Romero has played as skipper off the field in Spurs' fight for survival – but was non-committal when asked if he would still be at the club next season.

"It is a good question, but it is the wrong timing," said De Zerbi.

"First of all, now the focus is Chelsea. The second point is Romero is a great player.

"The most important is the behaviour and how much the player wants to stay in this club. We have to take a decision after this season, after the Everton game."

Sporting are among the clubs monitoring Joao Palhinha’s situation at Tottenham Hotspur.

Spurs have the option to sign him permanently for roughly £26m at the end of his season-long loan from Bayern Munich.

However, Spurs are not expected to sit down and discuss Palhinha’s potential future with them until the end of the season, when they know their Premier League status.

Sporting are interested in bringing Palhinha back to the club four years after he left to join Marco Silva's Fulham side in 2022.

However, it remains to be seen whether they can match Bayern's financial parameters for a deal.

Bayern have little interest in Palhinha being part of their squad next season, so the 30-year-old is set to be back on the market after impressing again in the Premier League, unless Spurs take up their option.

Nottingham Forest were keen on Palhinha before he joined Spurs last summer, but it remains to be seen whether they still have the midfielder under consideration this time around.

Enzo Maresca is still tied to his Chelsea contract, says Sky Sports News' chief reporter Kaveh Solkehol, as the Italian is heavily linked to the Man City job.

Pep Guardiola is going to leave Manchester City after their final Premier League game of the season on Sunday, sources have told Sky Sports News, with the former Blues boss set to take over.

"If he gets the Man City job, he is somebody who can be a great success there," Solhekol said. "Obviously it’s going to be difficult to follow Guardiola, but he has what it takes to do that.

"It’s not going to be plain sailing if Guardiola decides he’s leaving, if Man City decide that they want Maresca. It won’t be as easy as picking up the phone and getting him because he’s still contractually tied to Chelsea.

"When he left Chelsea at the start of this year, he still had around three years left on his contract, his departure was very acrimonious. I imagine that lawyers are involved and they would need to get involved again if he was to move to Man City."

Sky Sports' Ron Walker at Stamford Bridge:

"West London has not been a happy home for Chelsea over the last few months.

"The Blues have already lost more home games than in any of the previous 33 Premier League seasons, and are currently on their joint-worst ever run of home losses after being beaten in their last four matches at Stamford Bridge - including against a Nottingham Forest B team.

"Confirming arch enemy Spurs' Premier League survival would take the biscuit tonight, but equally the hope of better days to come now Xabi Alonso has been confirmed as their new manager, plus that added incentive of facing their London rivals may spring them into life.

"There is a little more optimism generally around with Alonso on board for next season. No news yet whether he might make an appearance this evening, but it would certainly lift the mood if he did."

Joao Pedro has been named Chelsea Men's Player of the Year after being snubbed from Brazil's World Cup squad.

Pedro, who has scored 15 goals and set up five in the Premier League for Chelsea this season, pipped Enzo Fernandez to the award, winning 60 per cent of the votes.

The 24-year-old forward will not take part in this summer's competition as he was left out of the squad despite starting against Croatia in Brazil's most recent match in April.

Pedro was left out of a squad that included a returning 34-year-old Neymar, who hasn't made a national team appearance since 2023.

The forward is not in the squad tonight, and is replaced up top by Liam Delap.

X This content is provided by X, which may be using cookies and other technologies. To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies. You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable X cookies or to allow those cookies just once. You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options. Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to X cookies. To view this content you can use the button below to allow X cookies for this session only.

Sky Sports' Callum Bishop at Stamford Bridge:

The big omission for Chelsea this evening is Joao Pedro, who misses out entirely tonight after failing to prove his fitness. It comes after he was announced this morning as the club's Player of the Year.

He also missed out on Brazil's World Cup squad last night.

Liam Delap replaces him up top, while there are another three changes for the Blues from Saturday's FA Cup final defeat.

Reece James, Levi Colwill and Malo Gusto all drop out, with just the captain making the bench. In come Josh Acheampong, Andrey Santos and Pedro Neto.

Source