£69m attacker "really" wants to join Tottenham with Xavi Simons

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image

Tottenham remain in the market for key additions before deadline day on September 1, with the clock against Daniel Levy who has just five days to make three major signings for Spurs.

Thomas Frank has made an excellent start to life in his first ever job managing one of the Premier League big six, overseeing impressive wins against Burnley and Man City with a hamstrung squad.

However, the new manager bounce is unlikely to continue indefinitely, and it is inevitable that Spurs will suffer new injuries amid their task of competing on four different fronts.

James Maddison and Dejan Kulusevski are two big attacking absentees for Frank, and it was made worse by club legend Son Heung-min's departure to the MLS. Radu Dragusin also won't be back for a while, meaning Tottenham would ideally like to sign a new centre-back, number 10 and winger in the next few days (Sky Sports).

Of course, with time against the Lilywhites, this could change, and their main priority right now is bringing in a playmaker.

This has resulted in Tottenham now making a last-gasp attempt to sign Xavi Simons from RB Leipzig, and they could hijack Chelsea in the process after their lengthy talks for the Dutchman.

Credible reports suggest that Simons is open to joining Tottenham, despite reportedly agreeing personal terms with Chelsea, so a north London leapfrog in the race for his signature is very much alive.

The former PSR sensation is in London right now amid Spurs and Chelsea's race to sign him, with talks ongoing behind-the-scenes as a late battle ensues.

In terms of their wide targets, a player they've been struggling to land thus far is Man City winger Savinho.

The Brazil international was subject to a £42 million bid from Spurs, which was rejected out of hand, and Frank's side were reportedly prepared to make another bid closer to the £60 million mark.

However, City are clear - Savinho is not for sale.

This has resulted in Tottenham being forced to go back to square one in pursuit of a Son replacement, but Savinho himself hasn't exactly thrown the towel in.

Savinho "really" wants to join Tottenham and hopes for Man City deal

According to TBR Football and journalist Graeme Bailey, the 21-year-old "really" wants to join Tottenham and is still hoping that a deal can be struck before September 1's deadline - even if it is unlikely.

“City’s hierarchy’s stance was always the same with Savinho; they did not want him to leave. Yes, they showed an interest in Rodrygo, but it was always difficult, and they maintained their stance on Savinho," said Bailey.

“However, I am told that Savinho really wanted the Spurs move and still does; the window remains open until Monday, and he hopes the deal could happen.

“Spurs will remain attentive to the situation, should they get any encouragement; however, they have also made it clear to Savinho they are moving forward with other targets too.”

The former La Liga forward, who City value at £69m, was a key member of the Girona side that surprisingly challenged for a 23/24 title, with Savinho also registering 13 assists in all competitions for City last season.

He hasn't been able to feature so far this term due to injury, but Pep Guardiola believes he is an extraordinary player.