Roberto De Zerbi has spoken to the press ahead of Tottenham Hotspur's clash against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday night.
Roberto De Zerbi has provided an injury update ahead of Tottenham Hotspur's clash against Chelsea.
Speaking to reporters at Hotspur Way on Monday afternoon, the Lilywhites boss began by confirming that Guglielmo Vicario, who underwent hernia surgery in March, is available for selection. De Zerbi said: "Vicario is available to play. I decide tomorrow."
On whether it'll be a difficult to decide who starts between the sticks, with Antonin Kinsky in fine form, he said: "No, it is not difficult. It is easy. Vicario is number one, but we have to consider the physical condition, the momentum and everything.
"I have a big relationship with Kinsky and Vicario as well, and there will be no problem," added De Zerbi. The Italian then ruled out Dominic Solanke, who suffered a hamstring injury during the 1-0 win over Wolves last month.
FOLLOW OUR TOTTENHAM FB PAGE! Latest Spurs news, analysis and much more via our dedicated Facebook page
At the start of May, following the 2-1 victory against Aston Villa, De Zerbi told football.london that he hoped the striker would be ready to face Chelsea. But the Spurs boss has pushed back the return date.
"Solanke is not good yet," said De Zerbi. "Not available. He feels something, and I don't want to take the risk for this game. We hope for Sunday, he can be available for one part of the game."
On Tuesday night, Conor Gallagher will return to Stamford Bridge. The midfielder, whom Tottenham signed from Atletico Madrid in January for £35m, spent 18 years at Chelsea, earning his stripes in the academy before becoming a regular in the Premier League and on the international stage with England.
On Gallagher, De Zerbi said: "From Conor, I expect the same performance he has been doing. Great player, great personality. He doesn't speak too much, but he speaks on the pitch with his work and his personality."
Spurs are unbeaten in four games, winning two and drawing two. On the confidence in the team, De Zerbi said: "We didn't deserve to lose the first game at Sunderland, but we made eight points from the next four, and we deserved to get more points.
"But we can't remember how things were a month ago. To get one point is tough, because all teams fight on the pitch. I want to see the right spirit, character and courage on the pitch."
Tottenham can avoid relegation and seal a place in the Premier League next season with a win over Chelsea. As it stands, with two games to play, the Lilywhites are two points adrift of West Ham in the bottom three.
On whether the fight for survival has been a wake-up call, De Zerbi said: "No, listen, one thing at a time. Now we need to play two games.
"We need to make other points to achieve our target and then have the right time to talk about the problems we have had, but it's not time right now and to lose energy over it."
Although a draw at Stamford Bridge would likely be enough to secure English top-flight status for another year, it would not mathematically guarantee safety. If Spurs only manage to bank a point in west London on Tuesday evening, they will go down if, on the final day of the campaign, they lose to Everton and the Hammers beat Leeds United by a 13-goal difference.