Solanke, Vicario & Maddison: Latest Tottenham injury news ahead of key Chelsea clash

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image

The latest Spurs injury news and expected return dates ahead of their crunch Premier League clash with Chelsea.

Sign up to our newsletter for the most distinctive football content delivered direct to your inbox

Sign up

Thank you for signing up!

Did you know with an ad-lite subscription to 3 Added Minutes, you get 70% fewer ads while viewing the news that matters to you.

Submitting...

Tottenham Hotspur head into Tuesday night’s match against Chelsea knowing that a win will mathematically guarantee them Premier League football for another season and offer some relief at the end of a dire season – but Roberto De Zerbi’s preparations for a massive match have once again been hampered by injury issues.

The Spurs head coach is likely to be sweating once again over the fitness of Dominic Solanke and first-choice goalkeeper Guglielmo Vicario, who are among eight first-team players expected to be out or doubts for the game at Stamford Bridge. There will also be speculation about whether James Maddison might start after coming off the bench against Leeds to mark his comeback from a ruptured ACL.

With kick-off for what could prove to be a decisive match fast approaching, we’ve collected all of the latest Spurs injury news below along with the absent players’ likely return dates when available.

Will Dominic Solanke & Guglielmo Vicario be fit to face Chelsea?

Striker Dominic Solanke’s season has been badly affected by injuries from start to finish, and he has missed the recent games against Aston Villa and Leeds with a hamstring injury – but ahead of last week’s match, De Zerbi told the media that he had “hope” that Solanke would be back in time to face Chelsea - who will not, incidentally, be managed by incoming head coach Xabi Alonso, with the Spaniard taking the reins in July.

The Italian also said that Solanke was “improving very quickly,” although it has yet to be confirmed that the 28-year-old was able to return to full training by the end of last week as had been hoped.

Solanke is likely to face a late fitness test on Monday evening to determine his availability, but there is a strong chance that he is back in the squad and able to feature in some capacity. If the Chelsea game does come too soon, he should be ready to play against Everton on the final day of the season.

First-choice goalkeeper Guglielmo Vicario, meanwhile, is also a doubt as he continues his heavily-delayed recovery from hernia surgery. He has returned to training for the first time since March, but his exact condition and match readiness remains unclear.

With back-up Anton Kinský in fine form, there is no guarantee that Vicario would retake his place between the sticks even if the Italian does return in time for Tuesday night’s game at Stamford Bridge.

James Maddison latest with six out for Spurs

The best news Spurs supporters have received over the last few weeks (save perhaps for news of West Ham’s 3-1 defeat to Newcastle on Sunday) was that attacking midfielder James Maddison is once again available after missing nearly the entirety of the 2025/26 season with an ACL injury.

The England international came off the bench towards the end of the 1-1 draw with Leeds, playing his first football since last August, and looked sharp – and there will no doubt be calls for him to start against Chelsea given the lack of creative quality in midfield as it stands.

De Zerbi has not yet given any indications as to whether Maddison will be able to play for a longer period of time after his cameo last week, but has told the media that he hopes the 29-year-old would play a “crucial” role in the run-in. A start against Chelsea seems unlikely, but an extended second-half appearance could be on the cards.

Some Spurs fans have also wondered about the odds that Cristian Romero might play again this season after he was seen in the Spurs dugout last week, free from his leg brace and running down the touchline in celebration after Mathys Tel’s goal – but all indications are that the Argentine will not recover from his knee injury in time to be involved again before the end of the season, and that he still faces a race against time to be fit for his country’s opening fixture of the World Cup on Algeria on 17 June.

Joining Romero on the touchline are Mohammed Kudus (quadriceps) and Dejan Kulusevski (knee), both of whom will hopefully return during pre-season – the long-injured Swedish winger is now back with the club to continue his seemingly endless rehab – along with Wilson Odobert and Xavi Simons (both ACL). Odobert will be targeting a winter return, with Simons likely out until February 2027, although it is too early for specific target dates to be set. Ben Davies (ankle) is also out, with no indications that he will play again before his contract expires in June.