Tottenham are looking to sell a Spurs regular who Thomas Frank no longer wants with the January transfer window looming, according to a new report today.
Tottenham's rumoured plans for the January transfer window
If there's one thing the last month has taught us, it is that the Lilywhites are still far from the finished article.
Tepid London derby defeats to Arsenal and Chelsea in the last few weeks, where Spurs barely managed to threaten in either encounter, significantly highlight the need for more firepower in particular.
Striker Dominic Solanke remains out with an ankle injury that required minor surgery, while star playmakers James Maddison and Dejan Kulusevski are still working to come back from their respective long-term problems.
This has left Spurs starved of attacking quality at times, with summer signing Xavi Simons largely failing to impress bar a player of the match display at home to FC Copenhagen in the Champions League.
A silver lining for the north Londoners was Randal Kolo Muani's exceptional outing against parent club PSG in Europe on Wednesday, where the Frenchman bagged a brace and an assist during the thrilling eight-goal thriller in Paris.
However, amid Solanke's injury problems and the uncertainty surrounding Kolo Muani's long-term future, considering he is only on a dry loan, reports suggest that Tottenham could look to sign a striker in January.
Co-sporting directors Fabio Paratici and Johan Lange are also targeting a winger, with Bournemouth's Antoine Semenyo on their radar.
Semenyo, who has stood out as one of the Premier League's finest attacking players this season, could leave for just £65 million during the early stages of January due to a release clause in his contract.
Some media sources claim that Tottenham are prepared to shatter their winter transfer record by signing both Semenyo and FC Porto striker Samu Aghehowa, with the latter in excellent goalscoring form right now.
To fund such a big investment, player sales may be needed, and one man believed to be on the chopping block is striker Richarlison.
Tottenham looking to offload Richarlison in January
According to recent reports, despite selecting him 20 times this season, whether that be in the starting eleven or from the bench, Frank views Richarlison as 'expendable' heading into 2026.
Now, journalist Pete O'Rourke has told Football Insider that Tottenham are looking to sell Richarlison in January.
Amid concerns surrounding inconsistent form and the fact his contract expires in 2027, it is clear to see why.
The Brazil international has actually scored six goals and bagged a further two assists this term, including two stunning goal of the season contenders against Burnley and Arsenal respectively.
However, Richarlison has still come under criticism this season, and January represents an opportunity to offload for a significant fee before it is too late.
“He’s doing the best he can right now, Richarlison, to try and score goals for Tottenham," O'Rourke said.
“Tottenham’s top goalscorer this season, six goals and two assists in 20 appearances in all competitions but, I still don’t think he is probably the answer to Tottenham’s issues.
“For me I still think Richarlison is probably best playing off as a wide forward rather than as a number nine.
“So, we know that Tottenham are in the market for a new number nine in January, if they’re able to bring one in, and also they’ve missed Dominic Solanke this season as well through injury. He’s hardly figured at all under Thomas Frank.
“Richarlison has stepped up, he’s done okay in places but I think Tottenham would prefer an out-and-out number nine to be playing as their main striker in the team.”