Tottenham owners and Cristian Romero risk wrath of angry fans before relegation decider

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image

Cristian Romero has returned to north London ahead of Tottenham's final Premier League game of the season against Everton, as Spurs look to avoid relegation

Tottenham's owners and Cristian Romero have risked backlash from fans after there was no column from chief executive Vinai Venkatesham and the Spurs captain ahead of this afternoon's Premier League relegation decider against Everton.

Roberto De Zerbi's side go into the clash against the Toffees at 4pm knowing a point will be all-but good enough to retain their Premier League status. But, if Tottenham lose, they will require Leeds United to do them a favour at West Ham to seal survival.

Spurs sit 17th, two points above 18th-place West Ham heading into the final day, but, due to their superior goal difference, a draw should see them stay in the top flight.

If Tottenham end up getting relegated, however, there is expected to be fury and anger from the supporters. And, ahead of the game against Everton, the club's board and captain Romero have risked wrath of annoyed fans after there was no column from the Argentine or CEO Venkatesham in the matchday programme.

There was no message from anyone in the Tottenham hierarchy in the programme, with former chairman Daniel Levy said to issue an update to supporters at the final home game of the season.

De Zerbi, however, did send a message to supporters, saying: "I can see the desire and passion that exists in this group of players and for that reason, I am confident we will get the job done - especially with you behind us."

Romero wasn't due to return to London for the game against Everton, after the injured Spurs captain was pictured in Argentina earlier this week. Reports suggested that Romero had headed back to his home country to see his boyhood club Belgrano face River Plate in the Primera Division final on Sunday.

Such a decision seemingly being made caused significant anger among Spurs supporters with Romero therefore set to be absent from their do-or-die match at home to Everton where the club could be relegated to the Championship if they lose and West Ham beat Leeds.

However, it is understood he actually returned to Argentina to undergo some further rehabilitation on his knee injury that was agreed upon weeks ago. But Romero has performed a U-turn on that plan and caught a flight back to London and is likely to be at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium this afternoon having watched every home match since suffering an injury back in mid-April during De Zerbi's first game in charge.

Rumours he was in the South American country to watch Belgrano were also quickly dismissed by his agent Ciro Palermo when speaking to football.london.

He said: "Any suggestion that the trip was made for the purpose of attending football matches is entirely inaccurate. More than that, it is a completely fabricated narrative being circulated by people who are unaware of the facts and have no knowledge of the rehabilitation plan that has been in place for weeks.

"Cristian's focus is, and has always been, on recovering as strongly as possible, preparing for the World Cup, and supporting Tottenham Hotspur in every way he can.

"His commitment to the club, his team-mates and the supporters has been evident throughout his time at Tottenham and remains unchanged."