James Wilson adamant over his Hearts role and Tottenham loan
Scotland striker has full belief that he can thrive at Tynecastle Park
Sign up to our Hearts newsletter
Sign up
Thank you for signing up!
Did you know with a Digital Subscription to Edinburgh News, you can get unlimited access to the website including our premium content, as well as benefiting from fewer ads, loyalty rewards and much more.
Submitting...
Repeatedly receiving the ball into feet, turning and firing it out to Sabah Kerjota, James Wilson looked very much like the striker Hearts need on Sunday. The teenager’s 45-minute substitute appearance against Inverness in the Premier Sports Cup was nothing short of outstanding. He laced it with a goal, hoping to prove a point to head coach Wouter Vrancken that he is a serious option at centre-forward.
Last season’s loan move to Tottenham Hotspur was questioned by former Hearts manager Derek McInnes, who didn’t feel it was the right option for Wilson. The player is adamant it was. He is equally convinced he can lead the forward line back at Tynecastle Park having improved aspects of his game in London. Competition up front could soon increase with a transfer bid lodged for giant American striker JJ Williams, but Wilson isn’t flustered.
He is concentrating on his own situation and seemed to enjoy himself at the weekend. His close-range header put Hearts 4-2 ahead in a tie they would eventually win 6-2. “Yeah, I loved it. I thought I played well and then I was just desperate to get the goal,” he said. “When we went 2-1 down, you're a bit antsy. Actually, antsy is probably the wrong word. I was quite looking forward to trying to be the hero, to be honest. It was good to get my goal. I honestly don't score any good goals here. I'm not sure I've scored a goal more than six yards, but now I'll take it. It was just trying to be in the right place at the right time.”
Vrancken demands quick movement and sharp passing in the final third, which seems to suit Wilson. “Yeah, I think that's a style that we want to play. The manager has drilled that into us, that we can kill teams when we switch the play really quickly and we naturally have someone wide out there. For me, if someone runs out in front of me, then I'm coming back in to get set to play and go. Whether it's me playing it or someone else, it's just trying to get a switch and play really quickly.
“We have a lot of counter movements in the team now. Whether it's a No.10, the striker, the wide players running beyond. You've got to be smart, you've got to understand where people are moving. It's not just where you want to go, but if someone's running beyond you, then you need to drop. That's a key message. For strikers especially, being in the six yard box, that's where the most goals are scored. I showed that on Sunday.”
He now needs more opportunities and is resolute in his belief that he will take them. He had played less than 30 minutes of competitive football this season prior to Sunday. “I just need to make sure that I'm doing everything I can off the pitch. It's up to the manager, it's up to the people who make the decisions,” said Wilson. “If they believe that I'm doing the right job off the pitch, if they can trust me to play, then it's on them. I just need to make sure that I'm in the best condition I can be. I’ve been working really hard in the gym, on the pitch, just hoping for the chance and I got that on Sunday.
“It's still really early. He [Vrancken] only had about three weeks from when he came in to the start of the competitive games. There were obviously guys here. I wasn't here last year either, so he hasn't seen much of me. I’m just taking it in my stride. He's probably still getting to know everyone, he's still getting to see everything. I'm quite relaxed. I’ll just keep working hard and hoping that the opportunity comes. I totally believe I can do the job [up front for Hearts]. I’m working hard, I'm just trying to put myself in the best place possible. If he wants to pick me, then happy days.”
Discussing the Spurs loan, Wilson revealed that playing under-21 football and sitting on the bench for a couple of English Premier League matches was hugely beneficial. “Obviously everyone looks at that move going down south as: ‘You’re going down to play Under-21s football.’ I got the experience of training with their first team, being on the bench, the facilities, the physical nature of it, the link-up play especially. I think you see that on Sunday, the way I take it in and play it wide. That was something that got drilled into me down at Spurs. There are loads of things that I picked up on but you're surrounded by amazing players. They are world-class players getting to play in the Premier League, playing in the World Cup. You learn loads.
“I was in and out [of first-team training]. Under Igor Tudor especially, I was in quite a lot. Then, with [Roberto] De Zerbi, we just kind of helped them a little bit more, but you're still around it. You're still in the session, but you get to learn from them a bit more and see it. That was really cool. Being able to see the different managers, the different styles of play. It was an unbelievable experience.”
Asked if he stood by the decision and felt it was correct for his career, Wilson replied: “Yeah, 100 per cent. It was four months for me. There were about 10 games in that period - or I can get the experience of going down and training with a good Premier League side. They've got some world-class players. I'm getting game time again, which I missed out on in that period before. I feel like I'm a better player for it coming back. I’m just hoping I can show that now.
“Everyone is so physical down there. You see the pure size of the guys, how athletic they are. You try to compete with that. You've got guys like [Micky] Van de Ven, who's a man-mountain. He's so athletically quick. Being able to play against him, train against him, being able to see that was cool. There are loads of things I could list.”