RTE.ie

Spurs accused of editing minutes of meeting with fans

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image
Spurs accused of editing minutes of meeting with fans - RTE.ie
Description

Tottenham have been accused of selectively editing the minutes of a fans' meeting held earlier this month, including taking out a line saying the club "welcomed the input" of supporters.

Representatives of the Spurs board, including chief executive Vinai Venkatesham, met with the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust on 3 February, just over a week before Thomas Frank’s dismissal as head coach.

THST says there were a number of specific points raised in the meeting "which the club did not agree to include in the final published version, despite our request".

Among the lines THST says were taken out were: "The club welcomed the input of THST."

Also edited out, THST claims, was a section outlining fans’ concern at the risk of relegation from the Premier League, and that the belief generated from winning the Europa League last season had now been "lost".

Concerns around the lack of young players coming through, the club’s ability to generate profit and what specific on-field targets lay beneath 'strategic principles’ set out by the club were also requested to be included but left out, THST said.

"Publishing a full record of the points raised helps ensure accountability and allows members, and the wider fan-base, to understand how the Trust is fulfilling its role on their behalf," a statement published on the THST website read.

"Transparency is integral to our role and in our dealings with the club."

Tottenham declined to comment, but sources close to the club indicated there was no intention to sanitise the minutes and had sought to produce a factual account of the matters discussed.

Spurs sit 16th in the Premier League with 12 matches to go, five points above the bottom three.

The club have brought in Croatian Igor Tudor as head coach until the end of the season.

Listen to the RTÉ Soccer podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts.

Source

Kolo Muani and Solanke send Spurs through

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image
Kolo Muani and Solanke send Spurs through - RTE.ie
Description

Randal Kolo Muani put an eventful couple of days behind him with a goal to send Tottenham through to the Champions League last-16 with a 2-0 win at Eintracht Frankfurt.

Kolo Muani was an unused substitute during Spurs' disappointing 2-2 draw at Burnley on Saturday amid speculation former club Juventus wanted to bring the France forward back this month before he was involved in a car crash on Tuesday.

The Paris St Germain loanee was fine and despite a late arrival in Germany, he grabbed the crucial 47th-minute opener against his old team before Dominic Solanke added a second to ease the pressure on under-fire boss Thomas Frank, with Tottenham remarkably able to finish fourth in the league phase of the competition.

Spurs were without 14 players for this tie in Germany, which was untimely for Frank after he faced more

criticism from his own supporters on Saturday after the draw with Burnley made it two wins from 14 in the Premier League.

Kolo Muani got the nod against his old club and despite being heavily booed, his first involvement nearly produced the opener.

After getting in down the left, his cross was spilled by Kaua Santos and Xavi Simons fired home, but away celebrations were cut short with Destiny Udogie adjudged to have committed a foul in the build-up.

Tottenham regrouped but not long after Joao Palhinha had seen a header tipped wide, results elsewhere meant the Premier League club had dropped to ninth in the league phase.

A flurry of chances followed with Udogie inexplicably unable to get a touch on a Kolo Muani cross with the goal at his mercy before a smart turn and shot by Wilson Odobert from 20 yards smashed against the inside of a post.

Simons should have scored on the half-hour mark too when he stole in after a poor pass by Santos, but the Frankfurt goalkeeper made amends with a vital save.

Frankfurt issued a warning sign on the stroke of half-time when Hugo Larsson fired over via the crossbar after beating Tottenham's offside trap.

It ensured it stayed 0-0 at half-time, but the opener arrived just 66 seconds into the second period.

A set-piece did the trick with a short free-kick routine able to create space for Simons, who chipped in for Cristian Romero and his header found Kolo Muani to bundle home from close range.

It was only Kolo Muani's third goal for Tottenham in 24 appearances.

A poor touch by Frankfurt's Aurelio Buta squandered a good opening for the hosts shortly afterwards before Kolo Muani sent his latest effort wide.

Santos was called into action by Pape Sarr's curler before Frank turned to his bench, with Solanke introduced for the bright Odobert in the 73rd minute.

Four minutes later and Solanke secured Spurs' place in the last-16 with the striker able to run through and drill the ball into the bottom corner to earn a fifth victory in the competition and secure fourth spot.

Source

Spurs' Kolo Muani 'fine' after minor car crash

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image
Spurs' Kolo Muani 'fine' after minor car crash - Frank - RTE.ie
Description

Tottenham forward Randal Kolo Muani was involved in a "minor" car crash on Tuesday, but is fine according to head coach Thomas Frank and expected to feature at Eintracht Frankfurt on Wednesday.

Kolo Muani took part in open training at the club's Hotspur Way facility in Enfield, north London but pictures circulated on social media that showed the Paris Saint-Germain attacker and team-mate Wilson Odobert standing next to a black Ferrari that had sustained damage.

Spurs boss Frank confirmed later on Tuesday that Kolo Muani was "fine" after the accident and ahead of the midweek Champions League tie.

Odobert reportedly was in his own car but stopped to assist his team-mate and they travelled to Germany together.

"Everyone else involved in that accident was fine," Frank told a press conference.

"It was a tyre blowing up, so, they are a little bit delayed but they will land later tonight."

Pushed for further details on the incident, Frank explained: "They’re fine, it was on the way to the airport.

"I haven’t spoken to them personally yet. The first message is that they are fine and nothing happened, as I said the first time.

"They will fly out later and I fully expect both to be available for tomorrow."

Frank (above) also insisted that "a lot of things" are going in the right direction behind the scenes at Tottenham despite Pedro Porro and Micky van de Ven becoming the latest to join the club's injury list.

Right-back Porro was ruled out for four weeks, whilst Van de Ven has not travelled to make it 14 players unavailable.

"Pedro hasn't travelled. Unfortunately he picked up a hamstring injury to be out for four weeks. Micky has not travelled. Minor thing. It’s possible he’s available for the weekend (against Manchester City)," Frank told a press conference.

Frank clarified Van de Ven’s "minor" issue was not hamstring-related after the Netherlands international suffered injury problems in that area during the 2024-25 campaign.

It is a case of deja vu for Spurs, given they have again struggled domestically this season but excelled in Europe, with last week's victory over Borussia Dortmund a much-needed lift for Frank at a time when the fanbase has turned on the Danish coach.

He faced more chants about "getting sacked in the morning" after Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Burnley, which made it two victories in 14 league matches to leave Tottenham only eight points above 18th-placed West Ham.

Yet, Frank’s current full focus is on the Champions League and he added: "We have a great opportunity to secure a position in the top eight, which would be a very good result, a very good achievement.

"Be very positive, we’re looking forward to that. That’s what we are focusing everything we can on.

"The other thing is that I think the performances for a while have been good in many ways. We just haven’t got on the right side enough to get the three points.

"We are working very hard on that. Sometimes you are on that spell, the players are giving you everything but for me tomorrow, it’s all about the opportunity.

"Again, it’s my job to look a little bit in the bigger perspective. Even though we haven’t won as much as we want, it’s very, very few things that need to go our way, the small margins, keep doing the right thing.

"Sometimes it’s the small things where even if you’re doing them you don’t get the result and then the whole thing is a catastrophe but actually behind the scenes, there’s a lot of things going in the right direction."

Source

Robertson to stay as Liverpool pull out of Spurs talks

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image
Robertson to stay as Liverpool pull out of Spurs talks - RTE.ie
Description

Liverpool have pulled out of talks with Tottenham over their approach for veteran full-back Andy Robertson.

The Londoners made their move late last week as under-pressure boss Thomas Frank sought to add some much-needed experience to his squad.

Liverpool listened to the approach in recognition of Robertson's contribution to the club in the last eight-and-a-half years and the fact he is out of contract in the summer.

However, it is understood the club have decided against continuing negotiations over the Scotland captain, who turns 32 in March, after considering their options. Robertson had not asked for a move.

Robertson has started only four Premier League matches this season, having lost his place to Milos Kerkez, but has been in the starting line-up for four of their seven Champions League fixtures – including high-profile matches against both Madrid clubs Real and Atletico and Inter Milan.

Liverpool’s vice-captain came off the bench for the start of the second half of Saturday’s defeat at Bournemouth, with head coach Arne Slot later revealing Kerkez had been withdrawn as he was considered in the "red zone" – when players are at most risk of injury.

Slot has already lost defenders Conor Bradley and Giovanni Leoni to season-ending injuries while Joe Gomez, who has had his share of injury issues, was forced off in the first half against the Cherries after a collision with goalkeeper Alisson Becker which is hoped to be just bruising to his knee.

Fellow centre-back Ibrahima Konate has missed the last two matches following the death of his father.

Captain Virgil van Dijk stated after the match he did not want Robertson to leave, while Slot said he wanted to keep all his players as they are still in contention in the Champions League and FA Cup.

Source

Slick Spurs find form to beat Dortmund

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image
Slick Spurs find form to beat Dortmund - RTE.ie
Description

Tottenham Hotspur shrugged off their domestic gloom with a 2-0 victory over Borussia Dortmund that took the heat off head coach Thomas Frank and put them within touching distance of the Champions League knockout stages.

First-half goals by captain Cristian Romero and Dominic Solanke gave Tottenham control against a desperately disappointing Dortmund side who played three-quarters of the match with 10 men after Daniel Svensson's red card.

Tottenham have won just twice in 11 Premier League matches at their home stadium this season -- a run that has left Frank fighting for his job.

But in Europe they have been impeccable in north London, winning all four of their Champions League games.

The latest one lifted them into provisional fourth place in the table ahead of Wednesday's games, meaning another win away to Eintracht Frankfurt next week should seal a top-eight spot and a place in the last 16.

Dortmund, who began the night level on 11 points with Tottenham but ahead on goal difference, face Inter Milan in their last game and are now likely to have to take their chances in the play-offs.

Source

Frank finding it 'difficult to enjoy' being Spurs boss

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image
Frank finding it 'difficult to enjoy' being Spurs boss - RTE.ie
Description

Manager Thomas Frank likens his time at Tottenham Hotspur to running a gruelling marathon, saying he is trying to push through a "heavy mile" now that ⁠he hopes will pay dividends in the long run.

After their scoreless draw at Brentford on Thursday, Spurs are 12th in the standings with just one win in their last four Premier League ‍games.

During the stalemate, there were chants of "boring, boring Tottenham" from fans, and Frank was greeted with a chorus of boos when he went to applaud travelling supporters.

Asked if he was enjoying his time in charge of Tottenham, Frank said: "When you need to put in a big, big shift and it's not smooth and it’s tough, it’s probably difficult to enjoy it.

"If I run hard I don't enjoy that moment but I know I need to keep my head down and ⁠run hard to get through it. We are in a situation where you need to run hard, to ⁠stay in it.

"When we look back on this spell or maybe this first year when it was tough, you'll think: 'What a ⁠learning, ‍what an ⁠experience, it made us so much better for the future.' So the short answer is no. The reality is ‍you can't."

The Danish manager said he understood the frustrations of fans ⁠and believed success would change their attitude.

"When I put myself out of it and look down, I think, 'what a privilege to be in charge of this fantastic club in a period where it's a big transition'," Frank said.

"It's definitely a marathon and ‍it definitely seems like it's one of the more heavy miles I'm on now, but head down and keep going."

On Sunday, ⁠Spurs host seventh-placed Sunderland.

Source

First senior goal for Gray secures Spurs win at Palace

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image
First senior goal for Gray secures Spurs win at Palace - RTE.ie
Description

Archie Gray's first senior goal gave Tottenham Hotspur a vital 1-0 Premier League win at Crystal Palace, ending Spurs' poor away run and easing the pressure on their manager Thomas Frank.

Spurs thought they were ahead against the run of play when Richarlison tapped in Pedro Porro's inviting cross, but the goal was disallowed for offside.

Jean-Philippe Mateta should have put Palace in front but headed over from close range after Maxence Lacroix nodded a free kick across the face of goal.

Gray made Palace pay and gave the visitors a barely deserved lead shortly before halftime, nodding home from three yards after Spurs kept a Porro corner alive.

Palace went close to an equaliser with Justin Devenny firing over on the spin and Lacroix heading narrowly wide, though Richarlison had the ball in the net again with 15 minutes to play, only for VAR to intervene once more.

Spurs, who had lost four of their last five away games in all competitions, held on to climb to 11th in the table on 25 points from 18 games.

Palace, suffering their third straight league defeat and now winless in five games in all competitions, are ninth with 26 points.

Both sides began in cagey fashion before Palace started to control the game and Spurs had barely touched the ball for a long spell when Richarlison snuck in at the back post to finish from close range in the 17th minute.

Lucas Bergvall, who had teed up Porro to lay the ball on a plate for Richarlison, had strayed offside in the build-up, however, and the goal was ruled out.

Mateta squandered Palace's best chance of the half, heading over from close range, and Palace were left to rue the miss when 19-year-old Gray scored in the 42nd minute.

Porro's booming corner to the back post was kept alive by Randal Kolo Muani and Richarlison headed the ball towards goal, where Gray flicked it home to open his Spurs account.

Devenny wasted a golden chance 10 minutes after the break, slicing over from close range, while Lacroix went close with a header before Richarlison thought he had settled the contest in the 75th minute.

The Selhurst Park faithful cheered the VAR's decision like a Palace goal, though Spurs looked the more likely to score again and substitute Wilson Odobert hit the post in the closing stages after a slick exchange of passes with Richarlison.

Source

Only 'fully committed' players can join Spurs orchestra

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image
Only 'fully committed' players can join Spurs orchestra - RTE.ie
Description

Thomas Frank has promised Tottenham will only sign "fully committed" players in next month's transfer window.

Frank has struggled since he took over from Ange Postecoglou in June and won only 10 of his 26 matches in charge of Spurs ahead of today’s trip to Crystal Palace (4.30pm).

It meant Tottenham were 14th in the Premier League on Christmas Day but despite their struggles, the Danish coach will only bring in certain characters in January after a summer where both Eberechi Eze and Morgan Gibbs-White turned the club down.

Asked about potential signings being fully sold on the project, Frank explained: "Key, in every aspect.

"Any player we sign needs to be fully committed on the project. No doubt about that. Very important.

"Character for me, as I’ve said many times, is the most important thing. They need to buy into it so we are aligned.

"It makes it easier for me to say, 'Hey remember the bit I said about this…’, then it’s a little bit easier to have consequences."

The past year has seen major changes at Tottenham with Frank one of several incomings amid a number of outgoings.

Daniel Levy (above) was the most high-profile departure after he left as chairman in September having been invited to step down by majority owners ENIC.

It has put greater control in the hands of the Lewis family trust, which runs ENIC and targeted "more wins, more often" following the removal of Levy.

That has not immediately happened with Tottenham and Frank unable to sufficiently handle domestic and European commitments so far this season, but the 52-year-old is convinced he can turn it around in north London after a run of five defeats in eight.

Frank added: "At Brondby I didn’t win the first eight games and then we were unbeaten in nine. At Brentford, we lost eight out of 10 games and then were were unbeaten in 10.

"So, I am convinced we will see a similar pattern here. Not in doubt of that. Because I know how to make a competitive team. We will make a very competitive team here as well. I’m not in doubt of that."

While results have not been what he hoped, the former Brentford boss has not lost sleep over Spurs’ struggles.

"The good thing is I’ve always been a good sleeper, so I think that’s helpful," Frank smiled.

"We want to be successful, we want to be consistent. There’s all small different bits we’d like to improve. I think that’s part of it. I think it’s completely open and transparent.

"I think it’s also clear that we are searching to find a very consistent, competitive team week in, week out.

"When you get small setbacks and don’t get the right response you try something new or you stick to it, so that’s the bit.

"It’s normal. It’s not the first time in my career I haven’t found the team instantly (clicks) but it’s coming over time. I know it will come. Probably sooner rather than later."

Source