Roberto De Zerbi confirms Cristian Romero decision for Everton that will enrage Tottenham fans

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image

Tottenham Hotspur captain Cristian Romero is in Argentina and will not be returning for Sunday's huge Premier League match with Everton

Cristian Romero has sparked controversy by flying to Argentina days before Tottenham Hotspur host Everton on Sunday in a match in which their Premier League status will be on the line.

Spurs' relegation battle has gone to the wire after they lost 2-1 at rivals Chelsea on Tuesday to stay only two points above 18th-placed West Ham United.

Romero was not present at Stamford Bridge but had been described as a "great captain" by Tottenham boss Roberto De Zerbi a day earlier.

Yet it has emerged that the injured Argentina defender is back in his homeland at boyhood club Belgrano, who face River Plate on Sunday in a title decider.

Belgrano's official X account posted a video of Romero at the club's training ground on Thursday night in a move met with anger from a disgruntled Spurs fanbase fearful of a catastrophic first relegation in 49 years.

Belgrano president Luis Artime then gave further details on the World Cup winner's involvement with his old club. "Yesterday he was training and I told him I think he’s going to be the one who arrives at the World Cup in the best shape," Artime said in interview with TyC Sports, as relayed by Catamarc Actual and Sport Witness.

"I’ve seen him and he’s in great form. He’s going to arrive well-rested, ready to join the team at its peak.

"The rest are still competing. They’re all coming off tough competitions. Cuti has had a month and a half or two months of rest, during which he’s preparing very well and will be one of the best. He’s already working with the ball. He came with the national team’s physio."

While Romero was present for the 1-1 draw at home to Leeds United on May 11 and provided a light-hearted moment when he celebrated Mathys Tel's goal by bundling assistant coach Andreas Georgson to the floor, any absence on Sunday for the biggest Premier League match in Tottenham's history may prove the final straw in terms of the Argentinian's relationship with supporters.

And De Zerbi has now confirmed that will be the case.

Speaking at his press conference to preview the crucial clash with Everton, he said: “He spoke with the medical staff, and together they decided to go to Argentina to complete the rehab with the Argentine medical staff.

“We spoke last week. With me, he show always he wants to stay with us. He is already injured. I'm not stupid. If there is any player who thinks for himself, I can't be the same Roberto. But with Cuti I can’t say nothing.”

Romero would have not been fit to face the Blues but asked if he understood fans' frustrations, De Zerbi said: “100 per cent I understand.

“The decision is with the medical staff. I have not time to lose energy, we have to be focused just on the game. We have players good enough to achieve our target.”

A win or realistically a draw would ensure that Tottenham, who will have striker Dominic Solanke fit, would survive.

However, should they lose to Everton and West Ham win at home to Leeds, they would be relegated from the Premier League for the first time.