Tottenham Hotspur now reportedly have a 'high' chance of completing the signing of Liverpool forward Cody Gakpo, after formally expressing their interest in the player earlier this week.
Gakpo endured a difficult 2025/26 season for the Reds as they slumped to a fifth-place finish in the Premier League, netting just seven goals and providing five assists. Despite this underwhelming form, Spurs have courted the Dutchman throughout the summer as Roberto De Zerbi looks to bolster his squad's attacking department ahead of the new season.
The Italian is said to be pushing hard to secure Gakpo, and the chances of the deal materialising are now understood to be 'very realistic'.
That said, Liverpool still need to decide to sanction the 27-year-old's departure, and this may be dependent on their ability to land a replacement.
Spurs Could Sign Gakpo Before Season Opener
Tottenham focused on strengthening their midfield and defence early in the summer, signing Sandro Tonali for £100 million alongside several other players.
While their squad looks significantly improved as a whole, they have neglected their attack up until now. Their season commences next Saturday when they visit Brentford at the Gtech Community Stadium, and De Zerbi is currently on course to name a front three consisting of the likes of Mathys Tel, Richarlison and Mikey Moore.
However, Dutch reporter Blaauwhof gave Spurs supporters hope that Gakpo could be added to the Italian's ranks before the visit to West London, claiming that the Lilywhites have formally expressed their interest in the Netherlands international earlier this week.
The journalist then provided another update suggesting that the chances of the deal going through are now 'quite high'.
It remains to be seen what sort of fee Liverpool will be looking for, although given Gakpo's hefty wages, they may be forced to settle for a modest sum. The wide forward is currently on £250,000-a-week at Anfield, and if he were to earn this in North London, it would make him Spurs' highest-paid player.
Tottenham Could Have a Completely New Wing Pairing Next Season
Alongside Gakpo, Tottenham are closing in on the signing of Manchester City's Savinho. The Brazilian is expected to predominantly be deployed on the right in N17, with Mohammed Kudus and Wilson Odobert still recovering from serious injuries.
Gakpo will take the mantle off the left in Xavi Simons' absence, meaning Spurs could line up with an entirely new pairing on the flanks next term.
As shown by the data above, De Zerbi may look to run his attack through Savinho as the team's creative outlet, and this could suit Gakpo's ability to arrive on the end of moves on the other side.