Korea JoongAng Daily

Son Heung-min set for formal Spurs farewell in December

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image
Son Heung-min set for formal Spurs farewell in December - Korea JoongAng Daily
Description

Tottenham Hotspur legend Son Heung-min looks set to return to London in December to bid a proper farewell to fans.

Son will reportedly attend the Tottenham-Liverpool match in London on Dec. 20 to say farewell, but not to play as a loanee as he ruled out short-term offseason loans to European clubs earlier this year.

Son, who captained Spurs and ended the club's 17-year trophy drought by winning the 2024-25 Europa League, left London to play for MLS club Los Angeles FC (LAFC). His final match in a Tottenham shirt came during an exhibition Coupang Play Series match against Newcastle United at Seoul World Cup Stadium in western Seoul on Aug. 3.

He never had the chance to bid farewell to fans in London. British media reports suggest that he plans to appear before home fans on Dec. 20 to deliver a proper farewell message.

“Because my last match for Tottenham took place in Korea, I never had the chance to say goodbye,” he recently said in a YouTube video shared by Shoot for Love. “I obviously need to return to London and say goodbye to them directly. I think the fans deserve to see me at the stadium and say goodbye in person. It will be a very emotional day."

Son, who joined LAFC in the middle of the 2025 MLS season in August, ended his first season in the United States with 12 goals and four assists across 13 MLS appearances.

He returned to Korea on Thursday to rest and begin preparations for the 2026 season.

Tottenham, meanwhile, have seen an unimpressive start to the 2025-26 season, sitting in 10th place on the Premier League table with five wins, three draws and five losses.

Spurs are reportedly considering playing against LAFC for a friendly in Korea in the summer of 2026.

This article was originally written in Korean and translated by a bilingual reporter with the help of generative AI tools. It was then edited by a native English-speaking editor. All AI-assisted translations are reviewed and refined by our newsroom.

BY PARK LIN [[email protected]]

Tottenham Hotspur poster wrongly depicts Korean flag, activist says

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image
Tottenham Hotspur poster wrongly depicts Korean flag, activist says - Korea JoongAng Daily
Description

A Korean civic activist called out Tottenham Hotspur Football Club of the English Premier League and tour buses in Dubai for displaying incorrect versions of the Korean national flag, the Taegeukgi.

Seo Kyoung-duk, a professor at Sungshin Women’s University and a prominent advocate for Korean cultural awareness, said on Wednesday that he has received multiple reports of inaccurate Taegeukgi flags being used abroad as Korea marked the 80th anniversary of Liberation Day on Aug. 15.

"Tottenham Hotspur posted a poster on Aug. 15 with a message commemorating Korea’s Liberation Day, which read 'Congratulations on the 80th anniversary of Korea’s liberation,'" wrote Seo. "As grateful as I am for the commemoration, it is regrettable that many of the Taegeukgi flags in the picture are wrongly drawn."

He also said that tour buses in central Dubai, a popular destination for travelers, displayed flags of various countries — but the Korean flag shown was inaccurate.

"I also confirmed a similar issue with a Taegeukgi hanging in the arrival hall at Mexico City International Airport, where the flag’s elements were arranged incorrectly," he said.

“Incorrect versions of the Taegeukgi are still being used around the world,” Seo said. “It’s important to inform others of the correct design so these errors can be corrected quickly.”

This article was originally written in Korean and translated by a bilingual reporter with the help of generative AI tools. It was then edited by a native English-speaking editor. All AI-assisted translations are reviewed and refined by our newsroom.

BY JANG GU-SEUL [[email protected]]

'Westerners are taught these manners': Sonny's umbrella faux pas sparks online debate

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image
'Westerners are taught these manners': Sonny's umbrella faux pas sparks online debate - Korea JoongAng Daily
Description

Korea national football team captain Son Heung-min has become the subject of a heated online debate after a rainy interview drew criticism over his perceived lack of courtesy toward a female reporter.

The controversy emerged after a post-match interview at Seoul World Cup Stadium on Sunday, where Tottenham Hotspur played a friendly against Newcastle United that ended in a 1-1 draw.

In a now-viral online post titled “You’ll get a harsh reality check as a Korean woman if you understand this photo,” screenshots compared Son with fellow Tottenham defender Ben Davies during their separate interviews with the same reporter. While Davies held the umbrella over the reporter, Son stood with a mic in one hand and the other behind his back as she held the umbrella over both of them.

The post quickly gained traction, racking up over 120,000 views and 1,800 comments in less than a day. Critics argued that Son failed to show basic manners, especially in contrast to Davies, whom many praised as “raised with natural courtesy.”

Some commenters applauded Davies for his gesture, writing, “Westerners are taught these manners from a young age,” while others questioned the backlash against Son. Defenders noted that Son was seen in a second photo holding a transmitter in the hand behind his back, which explained why both hands were occupied, while some noted that the football shorts do not have pockets and Davies appeared to tuck the transmitter in his waistband, as is common in post-match interviews.

Others pointed to Son’s long history of courteous behavior. A fan at the airport on the day of his departure recalled Son personally greeting every supporter and signing autographs. “He’s always been polite throughout his career,” the fan wrote. “Even now, as he considers a transfer, he’s widely respected for his character.”

This isn’t the first time Son has been highlighted for his manners. In November 2019, the Daily Mail reported on a viral moment when Son shielded a child mascot from the rain using his bare hands during a match against Sheffield United. The touching image earned widespread praise.

In October 2023, after a Premier League match against Luton Town, Son was again recognized for gently placing a microphone down with both hands following a post-match interview. Former England defender Rio Ferdinand, who conducted the interview and watched as Son placed the mic on the table, turned to his co-presenters and said, “What a guy, huh?”

Fans online describe Son as someone who “knows how to respect others” and “gives Korea a positive image as a nation with good manners and values.”

Translated from the JoongAng Ilbo using generative AI and edited by Korea JoongAng Daily staff.

BY CHO MUN-GYU [[email protected]]

Into the sunset: Son Heung-min's last match for Tottenham in Seoul — in pictures

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image
Into the sunset: Son Heung-min's last match for Tottenham — in pictures - Korea JoongAng Daily
Description

Son Heung-min played in front of a full house in Seoul World Cup Stadium on Aug. 3 in a Coupang Play Series friendly pitting his Tottenham Hotspur against Newcastle United.

Son on Saturday announced that he is seeking a move away from the North London club after a decade of service that culminated in a 2025 Europa League trophy, his first silverware with the club.

It was a very emotional night for the legend, and even for some fans, as he said farewell.

THOMAS MCCARTHY [[email protected]]

Son Heung-min confirms Tottenham Hotspur departure

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image
Son Heung-min confirms Tottenham Hotspur departure - Korea JoongAng Daily
Description

Son Heung-min, 33, announced Saturday that he will leave Tottenham Hotspur this summer.

Speaking at a press conference held at the IFC Mall in Yeouido, western Seoul, at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Son said, “There’s something I need to tell you, and it wasn’t an easy decision. I’ve decided to leave the team this summer. I felt it was right to share this directly at a press conference.”

A friendly between Tottenham and Newcastle United, scheduled for 8 p.m. on Sunday at Seoul World Cup Stadium as part of the Coupang Play Series, will serve as Son’s farewell match for the club.

When asked which team he would join next, Son declined to elaborate.

“I didn’t come here today to say where I’m going," he said. "I still have a game to play. Once things are more finalized, I’ll be able to share more."

In recent weeks, both British and American media have reported that Son — whose contract with Tottenham has one year remaining — is linked with a move to Major League Soccer’s LAFC. Clubs in Saudi Arabia have also reportedly shown interest.

Explaining his decision to leave, Son said, “This was one of the hardest decisions I’ve made in my football career. Spending ten years at one club is something I’m proud of. I gave everything I had every single day, both on and off the pitch. Winning the Europa League last season was a big part of it — I achieved something I’d been striving for.

“Part of me wanted to challenge myself in a new environment. I’m grateful to the club for supporting my decision.”

Translated from the JoongAng Ilbo using generative AI and edited by Korea JoongAng Daily staff.

BY PARK RIN [[email protected]]

New management to clarify Son Heung-min's future with Tottenham in upcoming press conference

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image
New management to clarify Son Heung-min's future with Tottenham in upcoming press conference - Korea JoongAng Daily
Description

Tottenham Hotspur of Britain posted a photo on social media on Tuesday of Son Heung-min smiling as he began training with the team at Hotspur Way. Son joined the team late on July 12 after receiving prior permission due to family matters.

On his first day back, he reportedly underwent a blood test and participated in a grueling 1-kilometer run (0.6 miles) that left many players exhausted.

Speculation continues to swirl over whether Son will leave Tottenham, where he has played for 10 years. New manager Thomas Frank of Denmark is scheduled to hold his first preseason press conference on July 18. The forward’s future with the club may become clearer then.

According to local media Football London, Frank is expected to assess Son’s physical condition and performance in person before holding an open conversation with him. Tottenham’s first preseason friendly is scheduled against Reading on July 19.

Reports have also emerged that Tottenham is prepared to entertain offers for Son this summer, amid interest from clubs in Saudi Arabia and the United States.

Football Insider cited former Tottenham scout Mick Brown, who said, “Thomas Frank is planning for life without the 33-year-old [Son]."

"The signing of Mohammed Kudus, alongside interest in the likes of Morgan Gibbs-White and Eberechi Eze, are set to allow Spurs to move in a new direction,” read the Football Insider report, released on Tuesday.

Another Korean footballer, 24-year-old Lee Kang-in of Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) who remained on the bench during the FIFA Club World Cup final on July 14, is actively pursuing a transfer.

PSG reportedly considers Lee one of three players likely to leave this summer. With one year to go until the North and Central American World Cup, Lee is seeking a new team where he can secure more playing time. He is reportedly being considered by Napoli, Manchester United and clubs in Saudi Arabia.

The future of Bayern Munich defender Kim Min-jae, aged 29, who missed the Club World Cup due to an Achilles injury, is also drawing attention.

Reports from France say PSG’s sporting director Luis Campos recently met with Kim’s agent in Paris. Barcelona has inquired about signing Kim, and Galatasaray of Turkey is reportedly interested in a loan deal. However, Kim appears more likely to remain at Munich. He is already receiving a hefty salary of about 25 billion won ($18 million) at the club and is said to retain the full confidence of new manager Vincent Kompany.

Translated from the JoongAng Ilbo using generative AI and edited by Korea JoongAng Daily staff.

BY PARK LIN [[email protected]]

Son Heung-min's Europa League title-winning jersey sells for $52,600 at auction

Submitted by daniel on
Picture
Remote Image
Son Heung-min's Europa League title-winning jersey sells for $52,600 at auction - Korea JoongAng Daily
Description

Tottenham Hotspur captain Son Heung-min's Europa League title-winning jersey sold for 41,221 British pounds ($52,600) at auction, according to SpursWeb on Wednesday.

"He has set a record only Lionel Messi can beat," SpursWeb said, referring to the fact that jerseys worn by Messi have sold for 49,400 British pounds and 44,500 British pounds.

MatchWornShirt, a website that specializes in selling jerseys worn by players in actual matches, put Son’s Europa League final shirt up for auction earlier this month, with a Korean fan winning the bid at 41,221 British pounds — the third highest amount in history.

Son clinched his first title in his career by winning the Europa League on May 21, ending Spurs' 17-year trophy drought in the process.

He featured for 23 minutes in the Europa League final against Manchester United and lifted the trophy first during the team's celebration as captain.

Son, 32, has played for Tottenham since 2015, having racked up 173 goals and 101 assists across 454 appearances.

He not only sits in fourth on the all-time top goal scorers list for Spurs as of Thursday, but also broke the all-time assist record for the London club in the Premier League in December last year.

The Spurs captain has one year left on his contract with Spurs and said during an interview in the mixed zone after a 2026 World Cup qualifier against Kuwait on Tuesday that he himself wonders about his future.

"I think it is better to see what will happen rather than think about the future," he said. "The fact that I've always worked hard everywhere remains unchanged. I will always work hard for what I have to do in my given role."

Son has recently been linked with a move to Saudi Pro League. A move would mark his first time playing in Asia.

He has spent his entire career in Europe, making his pro debut at Hamburger and later playing for Bayer 04 Leverkusen, before transferring to Spurs.

Translated from the JoongAng Ilbo using generative AI and edited by Korea JoongAng Daily staff.

BY LEE HAY-JUNE, PAIK JI-HWAN [[email protected]]