THOMAS FRANK must decide whether to go for the Joao factor or the wow factor in Saturday’s crunch clash with Fulham.
Master-tackler Joao Palhinha is ready and waiting to come back into midfield against his former side, having proved to be one of Frank’s most dependable players this term.
But many fans are eager for their manager to stick with 19-year-old wonderkids Archie Gray and Lucas Bergvall after their dazzling displays against Paris Saint-Germain in midweek.
Palhinha, 30, may be regarded as the safe option for his discipline, experience and tackling – his 93 duels won are the league’s highest – plus, he has chipped in with four goals too.
Yet given his age and the fact that he is only on loan, there are calls for Frank to opt for youth and build something to last.
It is a tactical dilemma for Frank who will feel the wrath of the fanbase if they suffer yet more capital punishment on Saturday.
Supporters are still scarred by Sunday’s 4-1 battering at Arsenal as well as the 1-0 home defeat to Chelsea earlier this month, with some already losing faith in the Dane.
Palhinha himself will be desperate to face his old club and former boss Marco Silva, whom he credits for helping get his career back on track after a failed deadline-day move to Bayern Munich in September 2023.
The Portuguese midfielder had even had his medical but ended up staying at Fulham a further year, before eventually making the switch to Bavaria.
Palhinha, who joined Spurs on loan from Bayern this summer, said: “The reaction that I had at that moment is probably the same reaction that I have on the pitch when a team-mate loses the ball and I try to get it again.
BEST FREE BETS AND BETTING SIGN UP OFFERS
“I had a special talk with Marco in that moment because as you can imagine it was not easy.
“But I like to think that everything that happens in our lives is because it needs to happen. “After this happened, I started to play again and I sent these things to the back of my mind. And I just kept focused on my job and after one season I had the opportunity again.”
Spurs were much improved at the Parc des Princes on Wednesday – albeit it was a low bar to clear – but they still conceded five.
That may tempt him to bring back in the more resolute Palhinha, though fans will point out that the former Sporting Lisbon man played when the team shipped four at the Emirates.
Whether he picks Palhinha or not – and he may well play him with Bergvall and Gray – Frank is a big fan of his talent.
The ex-Brentford chief suggested no call will be made on whether to take up the £27million option to sign him permanently until April at the earliest.
Frank said: “We are playing with only two or three-day intervals, four games, I have no thinking about recruitment or January right now.
“But all things about bits like that, I can’t see it being done before spring time.
“In general, Joao has been very good for us. He has been very competitive, he has been in games, carrying the team, really helping to both win the duels, and the second balls.
“Doing a lot of regains in the teams. Plus he has been quite dangerous for us going forward, scoring a few goals for us.”
Spurs, who are without suspended captain Cristian Romero, host Fulham having lost at home to Bournemouth, Aston Villa and Chelsea already this season in the league.
They were only a last-minute Palhinha leveller from being beaten at home by basement-boys Wolves in September, too.
It has led to an edginess at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in the crowd which could rear its head on Saturday if Frank’s side are labouring again.
Asked how the home form can differ so much to the impressive results away, Palhinha replied: “I don’t know. I think we feel the same support at home as when we play away.
“At home it has been a difficult phase, which sometimes clubs cross. I think our time will come at home. We are improving.”